Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Showcase: The Stormwall

It's time for the moment you've all been waiting for!  Okay, maybe not, but I finally took some pictures of my finished Stormwall.  I've been debating with myself on whether or not I should go back and highlight the blue on its armor plates more but I've now decided against it.  I'm very satisfied with the way it looks and I'm pleased with the color blue I have, without needing to highlight it just for the sake of highlighting it.  He fits with my painting style and dammit, I'm keeping him the way he is!  Without further ado, here's my Stormwall!

I tried to give him a pose reminiscent
of Thunderhead

I'm still impressed with how much
detail there is on the back of the model
I've been asked about how I got the lightning coils to look the way they did so here's my secret:  I started by priming the model white to keep the colors vibrant (very important!).  I painted the coils with Ice Blue, highlighted the edges with Vallejo White, and then painted the new GW Blue Glaze into the cracks... and that's it.  No, really!
The glow from the stacks and boiler was similarly easy.  I painted white where I wanted the glowing effect to be, then painted on the GW Yellow Glaze, and when that dried I painted the GW Bloodletter Red Glaze in the cracks and edges.  That's it!

The last thing I painted was the base and my Cygnar all have muddy bases.  I wanted my Stormwall to look like it just came off of the line (as opposed to being all beaten-up and weathered) but with mud everywhere, it needed to have some splatter on it or else it would look out of place.  I used 3 different browns some old Reaper Brown Ink and GW Badab Black to get the colors of the mud (it looks better in person).  The mud splatter started with some Vallejo Chocolate Brown being flicked onto the bottom of the foot plates.  I did this by both watering down the paint about 50% then "flicking" it off of a brush handle onto the foot plates.  I then stippled some GW Scorched Brown onto the bottom most parts of the foot plates, and lastly I lightly brushed some really watered down (~10%) GW Dark Flesh onto the very edges.  I also had to use my fingers to smear and blotch the browns sometimes to get them into realistic patterns but I'm very pleased with the results.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...