Translate

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Domination Release Event! (Updated!)

So today at my LGS there is an event celebrating the release of Domination and I most certainly will attend!  So the deal is that you try to play as many 50 point games as you can and you earn points once you achieve a "glorious deed" or other such conditions are met.  There will also be a new scenario, which I briefly playtested the other day against my Troll buddy, so that will be fun too!  The rules for the event can be found here and I plan on playing all day!  I will try to update my blog over the course of the day to let you all know how I'm doing and how the event is progressing, so make sure to come back and check up on how I'm doing.  Here are 3 lists I'm going to run (at least):
 
Domination Warlock List (and Tier 4)
eBaldur (+5)
- Megalith (11)
- Woldwarden (9)
- Woldguardian (9)
- Woldwyrd (4)
- Woldwatcher (4)
Druids (7)
- Overseer (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
- Stone Keeper (1)
Lord of the Feast (4)
This is the list I've been playtesting with eBaldur.  I'm not sure if I want to switch out the Woldguardian with a Woldwarden.  The guardian hits harder but the Woldwarden at least can chain-smite, making him a little more efficient for a warlock who doesn't manage fury all that well.  Plus, an extra geomancy goes a long way with eBaldur.  It essentially means an extra Crevassse or Roots out there, both of which are excellent spells.  If I have time I'll try both and switch it up a bit!

Fully Painted (unfortunately, I have to play 48 points to get a fully painted force)

pBaldur (+6)
- Megalith (10*)
- Woldwarden (8*)
- Woldguardian (8*)
- Woldwyrd (5)
- Woldwyrd (5)
Stoneward and Woldstalkers (5)
Stoneward and Woldstalkers (5)
Sentry Stone and Mannikins (3)
Shifting Stones (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
- Stone Keeper (1)
This is not my usual 50 point list.  Normally I would drop a Woldwyrd for a unit of Druids, but I want to have a list to get the fully-painted achievement, and this is it.  I originally meant to get more painting done this week but I left my paints at home.  This will have to be my list, but even at 2 points down I think I can compete really well considering the scenario.  The Sentry Stone and Mannikins are surprisingly annoying since they deploy 20" from my board edge thanks to this also being a Tier 4 list.  If I go 2nd, they can engage the enemy and buy the rest of my forces some time while they get into position.

Battlegroup Only (and no-characters)
pKaya (+6)
- Argus (4)
- Argus (4)
- Gorax (4)
- Gnarlhorn Satyr (8)
- Gnarlhorn Satyr (8)
- Feral Wapwolf (9)
- Pureblood Warpwolf (9)
- Warpwolf Stalker (10)
I considered running a 49 point list, replacing the Argus and 2 Gnarlhorns with a Feral and a Stalker, but considering the scenario, slamming around giant boulders with Gnarlhorns without forcing sounds like tons of fun!  Also, I figured that pKaya was the best for an all-battlegroup list because I could also get the achievement for no characters (eKaya has Laris).  She's also a solid all-battlegroup caster because her 'beasts all get +2 to their attack rolls in her control, and Spirit Door let's her hit-and-run with a beast as needed.


Other warlocks to consider:
Mohsar (this is a Hordes-heavy event and his feat is BRUTAL against Hordes!)
eKaya (good tournament practice)

Update
So the event was a bit faster-paced than I expected and my blogger app on my phone wasn't working as I had hoped.  Well the event is over but I managed to play each of my lists above.

Game 1 vs. eHexeris
A loooong game, a real slug fest with eBaldur.  Highlights include Molik Karn only managing to kill a shifting stone and stone keeper before I wrecked him and Lord of the Feast tagging eHexeris for 10 damage points on my turn 1 (he camped some bone grinders nearby).  I ended up clearing out some infantry with some druids and delivering Baldur himself to deliver the killing blow with 4 wurm tokens.  A solid win!

Game 2 vs. Arkadius
Also a long game against a local player with my pBaldur list.  A great guy and we were both playing with fully painted forces.  However, due to the fact that his beast had no open fists, I was able to cage in his war hogs with the boulders so that they couldn't really do much to me.  My Woldwyrds were my MVPs here, as purgation allowed them to deal huge chunks of damage to the War Hogs as Arkadius insisted on upkeeping forced evolution on them.  I ended up winning by delivering a Woldguardian up close and pounded Arkadius.  He had tons of transfers but basically chewed through most of his beasts.  Finally, another Woldwyrd was able to draw a bead onto the knocked-down Arkdadius who was upkeeping Aggravator and purgation won the day!

Game 3 vs. pStryker
pStryker with a Storm strider is pretty mean.  I was running my pKaya list, because this player is a great player (captain of the winning NETT team), and I didn't care about winning.  It was fun but I got owned.  With all of the boulders, they allowed him to be super accurate with earthquake and knock down my beasts for some heavy damage.  I did achieve the moral victory by wrecking his stormclad and Ol' Rowdy, but it really wasn't much of a fight and I lost hard.

In the end, I had 23 event points, tied with a couple other players and the winning player got 26 points.  The winning player was the same guy I played against who had the 6 impalers (but he didn't use that list at this event).  He's a really fun player and I'm glad to see him win!  While I did not win the champion coin, I DID end up winning the Circle faction coin, despite there being another Circle player who played more games that I!  Huzzah!

Overall it was tons of fun and I realized that I really love playing with both Baldurs.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...