By now if you haven't already heard, Privateer Press released the cards for the Cygnar Stormwall and we get our first official peek at a Colossal! We now know a lot about the direction Privateer Press took with these large models and they aren't the crazy unkillable machines that some initially thought. In fact, the Stormwall has less ARM than Ol' Rowdy. So, naturally, I want to jump right into designing a list around such an awesome centerpiece model, and now that we have the cards, we can actually start planning - making some assumptions of course about how the rules will work for these guys. So let's break down the rules for the Stormwall and look at which warcasters would make the most of a giant robot with lightning fists!
So let's breakdown some of the features of the Stormwall:
- DEF 10, ARM 19, 56 damage boxes. What's really interesting about the Stormwall is that the systems are a greater percentage of the damage boxes and more spread out.
- MAT 6, RAT 6. Hardly impressive levels of accuracy, but RAT 6 is actually pretty great considering the Stormwall sports two POW 15 cannons and 2d3 POW 12 shots on any given turn.
- SPD 5 is pretty impressive for a Colossal but not terribly surprising considering it's Cygnar.
- Lots of electricity to kill off lots of infantry - between the Lightning Pods and Electro-leap on the fists.
- P+S 20 on his melee attacks offers some great melee damage for wrecking enemy heavies.
So which Cygnar warcasters can make the most from the Stormwall? Well we first need to consider more than just the raw statline or abilities. We should also consider that this model is really expensive at 19 points. Essentially, we need to find a warcaster that could turn this model into something more than just a replacement for a Stormclad and a Defender (same cost). So what should we be looking for? Warcasters...
- ...with efficient, single-model spells
- ...able to give lots of focus points
- ...capable of making the warjack more efficient
- ...which can keep vital systems active and repaired
Sloan - Kara Sloan might not be the first model you consider when looking at the Stormwall, but in this case I think the Stormwall offers Kara Sloan some great opportunities. While she might not offer the Stormwall much at first, it's worth thinking of the model as almost the equivalent of 2 Defenders and a Cyclone with the guns it can bring to bear. Granted, you would get more out of Sloan's feat from having those three warjacks (an extra POW 15 and POW 12) but you get so much in return for 8 points less. In the case of Sloan you'll probably really want those two Covering Fire templates to keep the enemy at bay from the rest of your army while you shell them with ranged firepower, but you still get the benefit of having two POW 15 shots. Sloan's Fire Group spell will be very helpful here as it slightly extends the range of the Stormwall so that it can stay just a little further back. Additionally, with such a huge target like a Colossal, Return Fire will be a great little upkeep to throw onto it to punish your enemy from trying to take pot-shots at it from range. The best part is that after all of this this, you can still throw out a Lightning Pod each turn to zap some models! Sloan and a Stormwall will be quite a suprising combination on the battlefield, methinks!