Translate

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sloan and the Stormwall

Don't get too excited, it's not completely done yet.  I've spent the past 24 hours painting this guy and it is quite intimidating to paint.  Unlike some other large models you might encounter, this guy is still packed full of detail and it's quite challenging to paint it without accidentally getting paint somewhere where I don't want it.

Anyway, I'll be taking more pictures when it's actually finished but for now I want to share some of the thoughts I've had about the Stormwall and Colossals in general.  First I want to share a list that I'm considering bringing to the 25 point "Ambush" scenario this weekend, featuring the Stormwall itself:



Kara Sloan (+6)
- Stormwall (19)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (6)
- Officer (2)
Harlan Versh (2)
Reinholdt (1)
Stormsmith Stormcaller (1)
Reinforcements:
Minuteman (5)

First of all, ever since the cards were spoiled for the Stormwall, I've thought that it would work really well with Sloan.  She's primarily a warcaster who relies on her shooting abilities to support her army and the Stormwall offers her some great firepower to use for her feat as well as make sure that she and her army stay disengaged from the opponent with Covering Fire.  This list has been built to take advantage of many of her abilities, but I'd be lying if I was 100% sold on it and I've been going back and forth about a few elements.

First, I've gone back and forth about the inclusion of the Squire.  I love it but I don't think that Sloan will really use it as well as some other warcasters and I think those 2 points would be better spent elsewhere in a 25 point list.  Instead, I've opted to take Harlan Versh for some additional ranged support.  While he won't benefit from Sloan's feat, Purgation, Blessed, and Multi-Fire are fantastic deterrents from opponents casting buffs like Defender's Ward or Iron Flesh which means that they have to make the choice of either casting their spell and getting wrecked by Versh, or not casting it and the rest of my army can shoot the crap out of them.  Either way, it's a win for me!
I've gone back and forth about whether I wanted to take the Officer for the gun mages or take another solo instead, but I've decided that Stealth mitigation is just too important for this particular list.  Even without the gun mages I still have Sloan, the Stormsmith, and the Minuteman which are all capable of dealing with Stealth models.  Also, having a unit which can throw out Magical Weapon attacks will be great for dealing with Incorporeal models since they won't care about my Covering Fire templates and will need to die quickly.

Ultimately, I feel pretty good about this list and I don't have much that I need to paint besides Reinholdt and the Gun Mages, I just have to finish up the Stormwall and I'll have a fully-painted list!  The downside, of course, is that I haven't had any practice with this list, so I may not end up taking it after all, but it just looks like too much fun not to bring along.  I mean, how many lists will be able to deal with a Colossal in 25 points?

Yeah.  I'm gonna be that guy.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...