Translate

Monday, January 16, 2012

Road to Templecon 2012: Final Team Tournament Lists

So the Regular Team has gone from being super exciting to super dull for me.  Mostly it's because where I am makes it very difficult for me to play games of Warmachine/Hordes at all, let alone at a tournament standard.  The few games I got in were good and I've been getting better with timing my turns appropriately, but I'm not nearly as confident as I should be.  Oh and Skyrim eats away at my soul.  Seriously, for someone who's obsessed with completing every little quest like myself, this game is destroying every minute of my free time.
That makes me laugh every time.
I digress.  I have my lists finalized for the team tournament, and seeing as I'm not terribly confident with my abilities anyway, it's not like I lose much by posting them up on the internet for global scrutiny.

List 1: Hour of Reckoning (Tier 4) - 50 points
eBaldur (+5)
- Megalith (11)
- Woldguardian (9)
- Woldwarden (9)
- Woldwatcher (*4)
- Woldwyrd (*4)
Druids of Orboros (7)
- Overseer (2)
Lord of the Feast (4)
Shifting Stones (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
- Stone Keeper (1)
Reinforcements:
- Woldwarden (9)

List 2: pKrueger (non-tier) - 50 points
pKrueger (+5)
- Feral Warpwolf (9)
- Pureblood Warpwolf (9)
- Woldwarden (9)
- Woldwarden (9)
Druids of Orboros (7)
- Overseer
Shifting Stones (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
Wolves of Orboros (full, 6)
Reinforcements:
- Wolf Lord Morraig (5)
- Woldwyrd (5)

I still want the Stalker to come out
Okay so let's jump right into it.  You should notice that I have spots for reinforcements in both of my lists and this is because this tournament is going to be the first major one using SR2012 rules and that means that there's a good chance that we'll play at least one scenario with reinforcements.  There has been some drama about this change but for me I have decided to keep it simple and stick with models that are easy to use, won't require more than a minute to use them, and can hold a flank on their own.  Upon someone noticing that my previous decision was not a valid tier list, I decided that another Woldwarden would likely be my best choice for reinforcements for eBaldur.  I considered a Fulcrum, but that would mean 1) buying the model and painting it in-time and 2) I might as well then just add it into the normal list.  Nope, I think a Woldwarden will be fine - even though that 1 point will be wasted.  For pKrueger I decided that the Wolves were necessary for tarpitting and keeping myself relatively safe from assassination or at least to tie random stuff up, and so that meant that Morraig was a natural fit for reinforcements, coupled with a Woldwyrd which is always efficient and fun..  While I could easily make this into a tier 4 list, it would require a second unit of druids and I'm not sure that's worth it.

So let's break it down.  My eBaldur list has been really fun to play with and I think I'm actually at the point where I'm better with it than with my pBaldur list.  As much as I don't try to, it seems like the games keep coming down to eBaldur doing the dirty deed himself while the rest of the army takes it on the chin (and they do that oh-so-well too!).  I've played with Rock Wall a bit by now and I've decided that it's much better being used passively than aggressively - that is being placed closer to my models than trying to get in the way of non-pathfinder infantry who might want to charge over it.  At the very least, getting +2 DEF against melee is pretty nice and I've become pretty good at placing it so that models without reach can't even engage my models.  It's a silly-good spell.
I hate these guys...

The only problem I've had so far is clearing out spell-warded infantry - which is a problem because they are the most annoying models to me.  Granted, Knights Exemplar Errants are annoying but likely won't be dealing that much damage to my constructs at ARM 21+ (at dice minus 12, even with 4 dice on the charge that's averaging only 2 points of damage).  I am worried about Doom Reavers, however.  They have reach, high POW, and are weapon masters... and spell ward.  D'oh!  If I see a lot of Doom Reavers, I really think that my pKrueger list will be the way to go anyway, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

LIGHTNING!!!  REAL LIGHTNING!
What my pKrueger list does (and it does it VERY well) is absolutely destroy infantry... as long as they aren't Cygnar - in which case I think eBaldur will be better anyway.  This guy is good for most infantry-heavy lists - especially those with high-ish DEF values.  Two Woldwardens can geomancy a chain-lightning per turn each, giving me the ability to clear out a potential 2d6+2 infantry models per turn.  Since most infantry is ARM 15 or less, they'll be able to kill stuff with the POW 10 leaps quite easily.  I've also been known to throw my own models out there to start the chain, to snag those sneaky stealth models, so I'm not terribly worried about that either.  I don't usually like anecdotal evidence, but I have killed eEiryss, Harlan Versh, and 7 Kayazy assassins for the low price of one Wolf of Orboros before.

Did I mention that I can't wait for this kit to be out?
While the pKrueger list is lacking in heavy-hitting, the Feral Warpwolf is a great heavy hitter to have - especially with Lightning Tendrils on him - and the Purebloods animus will be great on the Feral in case someone is super-charging their own heavy.  That said, this list is intended for infantry-dominance, so if I see a potential match-up with lots of heavies, I'll just take eBaldur since Crevasse spam can be effective at removing infantry too.  No, pKrueger is there to kill all your mans off of those objectives so that he can take it for himself.  If I'm facing off against a Terminus or a Connie, I'd much rather have eBaldur out there, but most other warmachine players will cringe when they see the amount of anti-infantry I'm packing.  My only worry is that this list takes a lot of time, so I have to be quick with my dice rolls.  The worst part is that as I kill off more models, that means less time that my opponent has to spend on their turn!  Kinda sucks, but I hope that by practicing a lot with this dude, it'll all be worth it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...