Translate

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Road to Templecon 2013: List Building Part 2

Like I said on Monday, now that the Templecon Team Tournament has been confirmed as 50 points, 2 lists, and Divide and Conquer, I have some decisions to make.  I already looked at using pBaldur vs. eBaldur and I'm genuinely torn between the two and will need to playtest the lists thoroughly.  Today, however, I want to look at my other two options to pair up with whichever Baldur I want to take.  Fortunately, the 50 point level means that I have more options to play around with and I'm more motivated to use warlocks that I have a hard time justifying at 35 points.  So which lists am I considering?



Well the first is going to be my standby:
Krueger the Stormwrath - 50 points
pKrueger (+5)
- Feral Warpwolf (9)
- Woldwarden (9)
- Woldwarden (9)
- Gorax (4)
Druids of Orboros (7)
- Overseer (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
Gallows Grove (1)
Gallows Grove (1)
Wolves of Orboros (min, 4)
Wolf Lord Morraig (5)

This is very similar to my other list that I play at 35 points with the addition of a Gorax, Morraig, Wolves of Orboros, adding an Overseer to the Druids, and having 2 Woldwardens instead of 1 Warden and 1 Guardian.  Why the change?  Well in 35 points having two wardens was a little bit of overkill regarding anti-infantry capability.  At 50 points, however, there will be far more boots on the field and being able to control the hordes (especially if I see Terminus out there) will be very important.  While I do lose a bit of heavy hitting, Morraig is a real bastard for heavy-hitting and is so quick and self-sufficient that I can run him along a flank with some Wolves for giggles and probably still be alright. 

Besides, I think that the Gorax + Feral will be able to handle any heavy I encounter.  Between Primal and Lightning Tendrils and warping I have some great flexibility being able to charge a target from 11" away and swing at P+S 19, or charge 13" away and swing at P+S 17.  People often underestimate how much damage the Feral can actually deal, especially with his 3 initial attacks.  Colossals could be a problem but with so many points invested in a single model, my hope is that I can deal enough damage to cripple some systems (the Feral can deal 38 points of damage on average to Conquest on the charge, or 41 if I can walk there) and then hope that I can weather the returning attacks long enough to score a win on scenario.  This list has a lot of ways of dealing with infantry through an incredible volume of POW 10 attacks, but I'm not convinced that the list is as powerful as I need it to be, honestly.  It does handle infantry better than either Baldur, however.

I need more playtesting with it, regardless.

Here's the second list for consideration:
Mohsar the Desertwalker- 50 points
Mohsar (+5)
- Gorax (4)
- Shadowhorn Satyr (7)
- Gnarlhorn Satyr (8)
- Gnarlhorn Satyr (8)
Druids of Orboros (7)
- Overseer (2)
Bloodtrackers (full, 8)
- Nuala (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
Shifting Stones (2)
- Stone Keeper (1)
Druid Wilder (2)
Gallows Grove (1)
Gallows Grove (1)

This list has a lot of moving parts but isn't terribly different from my 35 point Goat Force army.  I've added the Overseer for the druids, another set of shifting stones with the stone keeper, and a full unit of bloodtrackers plus Nuala.  This list has a lot of flexibility and while I'm more partial to it, I also know that I will need to playtest it a lot.  There are a lot of moving parts and while I have the tools to deal with a variety of threats, I need practice in dealing with them.  Let's break it down.

If I need heavy-hitting then Mohsar's Curse of Shadows will work wonders with this list in combination with things like Primal or Prey on the Bloodtrackers.  My hope is that while I might not have a model which could single-handedly take down a Colossal/Gargantuan, it's my hope that the rest of the force could do it since Curse of Shadows essentially can be an army-wide damage buff, including the ranged attacks from the Bloodtrackers.  Alternatively, I could just use Curse of Shadows to move my models through whatever is in my way and then my models could attack whatever is on the other side.  It's an amazing spell and this list will love having it around - especially with a Shadowhorn slinking around looking for something to two-hand throw.

This list also has a lot of board control and that's huge for scenarios.  Pillars of Salt are only the beginning of the board control this list has, as the Bloodtrackers can run around pretty much anywhere and then reform back to a safer distance either into or through terrain.  The Shifting Stones will let me keep my Gnarlhorns in positions where their Counter Slams will deter a lot of enemy movement and my shifting stones can make sure that those Gnarlhorns will still be able to squeeze into a tight spot should they need to.  I also love slamming models into the Pillars of Salt because a free additional damage die is never a bad thing.  If I can use the Wilder to throw on Primal and I have Mohsar cast Curse of Shadows on my target and a Pillar behind them, that Gnarlhorn is hitting at an effective P+S 19 with 4 damage dice (provided the model can be slammed into the pillar)!  Follow-up means that I can then continue to bash my opponent with extra attacks after they've moved so I can even have some fun clearing away infantry by bowling (remember Primal adds to STR so collateral damage would be a POW 12).

Lastly, I like this list more because it can absolutely shut down most Hordes armies, and it's nice to have that reliability.  I can also shut down channeling which most people think automatically means Cryx, Cygnar, or Retribution, but let's not forget that other Circle players, Legion, or Skorne could have channelers and that's with popular warlocks that I could see across the table.  Being able to screw with their fury management AND channeling could be funny against eHexeris or the Vayls - although both factions have ways of mitigating fury anyway, so I guess it balances out.

In the next article (maybe tomorrow?) I'll look at some options for reinforcements and I will share a rumor that I heard about SR 2013 and how it applies to my list building strategies.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...